The Shelter at Snapper Halt, when first built in 1903, and 110 years later, newly restored.
Snapper Halt, two and a half miles from Barnstaple Town station, opened in 1903 to serve the residents of nearby Goodleigh. Actually in Yeotown, the name is believed to derive from an inn formerly located a quarter of a mile further along the road from Barnstaple.
Purchased by Exmoor Associates in 2010, This section includes the original railway halt complete with the waiting shelter and platform on twelve acres of land, which includes over a third of a mile of trackbed and river frontage. Neglected for many years, the site was overgrown and the shelter, although still in place, was derelict. EA and L&B Volunteers have since cleared the platform and surrounding area, improved the drainage, and restored much of the shelter, and continue to maintain and improve the site.