User menu

Justine

Justine was built in 1906 by Arn. Jung of Jungenthal bei Kirchen a/d Sieg, Germany, Works No. 939. This locomotive was purchased by enthusiasts at the North Gloucestershire Narrow Gauge Railway, where it is usually resident, from a Belgium dealer in 1974.

Justine is typical of continental practice at the time and was used to transport sand and gravel from its owners' dredging operations at Maaseik on the Belgium Dutch border.

Justine is a 600mm gauge 0-4-0WT with the water tank between the frames and has Allan straight link valve gear.

The locomotive was restored to steam in 1979 and has since been based in Gloucestershire - initially at Dowty RPS, Ashchurch, and now at Toddington. It visited Maldegem, Belgium in 1995, after which its boiler ticket expired and saw no further use until 2007. It has twice visited the Leighton Buzzard Railway.

Justine visited Woody Bay and hauled all steam trains throughout October, November and December 2008.

Justine at Toddington Justine's Works Plate

Timetable icon: 

Corporate Supporters - Where to Stay

The Denes button Fox and Goose button Lynton Cottage Hotel button Moorlands button