User menu

Pilton

Type of engine: 
diesel

History: D2393 "PILTON" 0-6-0 150hp diesel mechanical locomotive No.2393 of 1952 manufactured for the Drewry Car Company by Baguley of Burton-on-Trent. Exported to Victoria Mill (about 110km north of Townsville) Queensland Australia. Originally numbered D3 Renamed Leichhardt, 1974. Out of use by 1989.

1996 to Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society, Albion Park, NSW.

2001 Bought and repatriated by the Lynton and Barnstaple Railway Trust and renamed PILTON.

Originally stored at Williton at the West Somerset Railway and then to Greensbrook, Clutton, Bristol.

In 2005 it went to Statfold Barn Railway, Tamworth, Staffordshire where it was completely rebuilt and as the original Gardner 8LW K type 150HP engine was deemed an uneconomic repair, a Cummins engine was installed.

PILTON arrived back at Woody Bay April 22nd 2013

Where, during trial runs the Cummins engine was found to be putting too much torque into the gearbox, primarily because of the continuous 1 in 50 gradient. It was subsequently decided to replace the Cummins with a Gardner 6LXB 180HP engine and also modify the cab to fit the L&BR loading gauge.


With the cab lowered and bodywork modified our engineers are now finalising the modifications required to operate on the railway. Next stop the paint shop!


 

Timetable icon: 

Corporate Supporters - Where to Stay

The Denes button Fox and Goose button Lynton Cottage Hotel button Moorlands button