User menu

Stanhope

STANHOPE was built by Kerr Stuart & Co in 1917 as one of their 'Tattoo' class of locomotives. It originally worked at the Royal Naval Dockyard at Rossyth. It also saw use in later years on the Sidcup bypass and at Weardale Reservoir before ending up at Penrhyn Quarry, North Wales in 1934. It was in the scrap line by 1948 (sitting almost alongside BRONLLWYD).

Stanhope Stanhope

The loco was restored to working order during the 1990s at Alan Keef Ltd. and completed in late 1999. Since then STANHOPE was been based at the West Lancashire Light Railway, however has also seen visits to several other local lines, as well as Leighton Buzzard and the Ffestiniog.

STANHOPE visited the Lynton & Barnstaple in May 2007 as part of the Spring Gala Weekend. This was the first time in preservation that STANHOPE and BRONLLWYD have been seen working together, and is also the only time in its history the loco has ever ventured to the South West!

Timetable icon: 

Corporate Supporters - Where to Stay

The Denes button Fox and Goose button Lynton Cottage Hotel button Moorlands button