posted by Martyn de Young
on Thu, 15/12/2011 - 18:23
At a cold, windy and wintery Woody Bay Station today, the two very sensible volunteers stayed warm and dry by working inside on administrative duties. Dave Tooke and Dave Blencowe sorted out the Santa Special bookings by allocating the visitors and their children to the trains on the various days over the weekend and all next week. Some people needed to be contacted to confirm their bookings.
The 'outdoor' gang were tasked with another rolling stock project. The lightweight underframe of restored original coach No.7 (now being replaced with a correct frame and bogies built at Boston Lodge, Ffestiniog Railway) had been delivered to Woody Bay recently. It is expected that parts of this frame will be re-used in a future rolling stock project - watch this space! In the meantime, today's job was to dismantle this frame by undoing all the nuts and bolts and moving the sections into storage.
1. The gang working in the car park begins to dismantle the old underframe from coach No.7.
2. Fred the dog awaits another thrown stick whilst gang continues undoing of the bolts.
3. Progress now as the headstock is separated from the sides.
4. The compressor on flat wagon No.52 supplied air to ease the unscrewing. Brake Van No.56042 was on hand as shelter from the occasional wintery showers.
5. Nearly finished separating the underframes, just the long sides remain, ready for lifting by the excavator onto the works train.
6. HEDDON HALL and works train moving the underfame sections to storage.
7. The works train pauses at Woody Bay during the shunt move. (The up starter signal arm has been removed for repainting)
8. After moving away 'up country' , former regular volunteer Richard Willey - who has missed us so much this late autumn - returned to the gang today during his winter holiday break in Somerset. Richard tucks into some chocolate cake during the final tea break before going home time.
Words and pictures by Nigel Thompson
Ex-L&B Coaches FOR SALE
Our four-coach Thorpe Park set is now available for sale. Click HERE for more information...
Lynton & Barnstaple Railway Trust Ltd.
Registered Charity № 1082564
Registered Company № 4040633
Lynton & Barnstaple Railway Community Interest Company
Registered Company № 3390170
Registered Offices, Woody Bay Station, Martinhoe Cross, Parracombe, DEVON, EX31 4RA
Contents copyright Lynton & Barnstaple Railway Trust. All rights reserved worldwide. Individual copyrights acknowledged.
L&B, Lynton & Barnstaple and Lynton & Barnstaple Railway are registered Trade Marks of the Lynton & Barnstaple Railway Trust.